Sunday, October 25, 2015

Shaker Heights High School

Shaker Heights High School was a lot different than I thought. It was very different than my high school. I observed two different science classes, a biology 2 class and a freshman physical science class. The teachers had two different teaching styles so it was nice to compare them to what we learned in class. In class we read about finding the balance between being an authority figure, but also being a friend at the same time.

The first class I observed the teacher seemed to be more of a friend. All the students were on their phones the entire class and were not taking the assignment seriously. They were supposed to think of a movement and say what muscles were being used. The students were just looking up music videos and dancing to them. The teacher wasn't really doing anything to stop them. At one point she did take on an authoritative roll and disciplined a student in the hall and sent her to the office.

The next classroom the students were independently studying for their exam the next day. The teacher was strict on having no phones and actually looking at the material. I think he was a better teacher and even though I only saw a few minutes of his class I got that vibe that he was strict enough to be a good teacher, but was also a friend to the students. I hope to find this balance in my classroom. After being in the first classroom I was scared that being a young high school chemistry teacher would make students think they could walk all over me and do whatever they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment