Thursday, October 22, 2015

Individual Observation

For my first individual observation I went to Mayfield High School and observed Mrs. Ancell's AP chemistry class. When I first walked into the school it reminded me a lot of my own high school. In the classroom the desks were set up in rows and each row was pretty far from each other. They were learning how to name poly-atomic ions and acids. They were working on packets as a class, she was doing them on the projector. Each subtopic was a different color so I think that will help the students remember how to do certain things. Associating color is a great way to memorize hard information. I still do that today. The thing I liked about her teaching style was she was going through each problem and letting the students say random answers and then other students would correct the wrong students and it was a group effort. After the students baffled with answers for a little bit she would tell them the right answer. After doing some problems she said it was time for notes. Instead of putting pre written notes up she wrote them with the kids and explained everything really well I think. After the class I reflected and really thought Mrs. Ancell projected the qualities of a good teacher that we talked about in class. She cared so much and wanted the students to succeed. Hand writing the notes really stood out to me as caring. She also said she stays after school three times a week for extra chemistry tutoring. By staying after school she is showing how much is trying to help the students. She is putting their needs first by staying late and not just going home to relax. I am excited to go back next week and observe her class again.

No comments:

Post a Comment