Monday, October 5, 2015

Field Blog 1 (with the class)

                I really enjoyed going to Mayfield Middle School. I observed a 7th grade science class. They had stations set up all around the room of experiments and that's how the student were learning the material rather than it being written on a chalkboard. It reminded me of when I was in middle school. Mayfield middle school had a sense of community to me, everyone was supportive of each other and working as a team. I forgot how hands on middle school really was, since being in high school and college most of my classes have just been straight lecture, taking notes, and there was no real student teacher interaction.  While I was observing I asked the students if they liked the class and their teacher. Most of them responded along the lines of "we do a lot of experiments they are really fun, we work in groups, the time goes by way too fast, we don't sit and take notes all the time." From Mayfield middle school I learned how important it is to be interactive and have activities for the children to do in order for them to learn the information. If they were to sit around and read the book they would have told me science was boring and that they hated it. Science in high school is a really hard subject, but I think there are some aspects that can be taught in an interactive way rather than lecture. I think staring off science in a fun way in middle school will change the way children view science in high school. I have heard a lot of people complain about chemistry and physics before they even had a chance to take it because their previous science classes were so boring. I look forward to more observations and learning how to teach science, especially chemistry,  in a fun, interesting, and interactive way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment