Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Summary of Individual Observations

I really enjoyed being at Mayfield High School. I think the major reason behind this was because it was exactly like my own high school. When I went there for the first time my first thought was this looks exactly like North Royalton (where I attended). This relates back to a topic that we talked about in class. Teachers are more comfortable and prepared when they are teaching in communities that they are familiar with or have experience with. I think my observations would have been much different if they were all at Shaker High School, a school that was foreign to me and did not remind me of my own high school.
The four teachers I observed while at Mayfield were all brilliant and I am so happy I was placed with them. They all truly showed how much they loved the education field, which was refreshing after discussing all the issues in education during class. The one thing I noticed from all four was how much they cared about their students. Whether it was taking time out of class to go over a concept from the day before, to postponing a lecture or lab because some students did not understand the material, or even offering to stay after school for extra help.
These teachers have reassured me that I want to be a high school science teacher, preferably chemistry. They constantly expressed to me how hard the job can be at times and how difficult it was at the beginning of their career, but they also expressed how all the work was worth it in the end. I am even more excited for my future as a teacher and hope to be as passionate and caring as the teachers I recently observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment