Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Blog 5

The Rofes reading was very different than I was expected. Rofes said his childhood was neither good or bad. He also said "despite the constrictions place on children…children are always to a grater or lesser extent active agents in participating in the production of their own childhoods and adolescences." He followed this up by saying that while many of us don’t ask for the circumstances which we live in, many of us do not fully accept them. Like him, I agree that we play a role in "shaping our own consciousness," however he puts it in a much harsher way. Rofes seems very unsympathetic and that life is just horrible and we need to figure out how to deal with it. I think that in life sometimes are hard, but people can work through it and he didn't mention that. He also mentions he thinks that people choose to be gay, and that they weren't born that way. I do not agree with him at all. In the school I do my observations at (Mayfield High School)  I saw posters for LGBT. When I was in high school I didn't even know what that was so obviously it wasn't something that my own high school provides, which is kind of disappointing looking back. I did not see anything at the middle school and high school we attended as a class. I would consider the high school that I went to very liberal and they probably had an LGBT group and I was just oblivious to it. There were open gay students at my high school and everyone was very accepting. While we are all entitled to our own opinions, LGBT is a thriving topic throughout schools now and I think everyone needs to be open minded and accepting when it comes to this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment